GREEN CHILI SPINACH QUICHE
*1/2 cup all-purpose flour
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1 teaspoon salt
*8 oz shredded Colby-Monterey Jack Cheese
*2 cups small curd cottage cheese
*10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
*2 (4 oz cans) chopped green chilis
*1/2 cup melted butter
*Onions and mushrooms if desired (and strongly recommended)
1. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together
in a small bowl; set aside
2. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in the flour until no lumps remain. Stir in the Colby -Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, spinach, green chilis, melted butter, onions and mushrooms until evenly blended.
3. Bake in 12" Dutch Oven at 350 degrees (17 coals on top and 8 coals below) for 45-60 minutes and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
(This is one of my favorites!!!!!!!!)
BAKED CARAMEL-BANANA FRENCH TOAST
*8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
*1 Cup packed dark brown sugar
*2 Tablespoons dark rum, optional
*2 sliced bananas
*1 Loaf white bread (about 20 oz) cut or torn into 1/2" pieces
*8 Large eggs
*2 Cups half & half
*1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
*1/4 teaspoon salt
Prep time: 25 Minutes
Chill: 4 hours (or overnight)
Bake: 40 minutes
Total: 5 hours
1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and rum; stir until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in bananas
2. Scatter half of bread in a 9"x13" baking dish. Spoon caramel-banana mixture evenly over bread. Top with remaining bread. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Whisk in half and half, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread mixture, pressing down on bread to make sure its all coated. Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (For a 12" Dutch Oven place 17 coals on top and 8 coals below) Let baking dish stand at room temperature while oven heats. Remove foil and bake until puffed and golden and a thin knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving
DUTCH OVEN RECIPES
*3/4 cup white sugar
*1/4 cup butter
*1/2 cup milk
*1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
*2 teaspoons baking powder
*1 teaspoon vanilla
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*2 cups fresh blueberries
*1/2 cup white sugar
*1/3 cup all-purpose flour
*1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*1/4 cup butter, softened
Spray 12" Dutch Oven with cooking spray and warm with coals (18 on top and 9 below) Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, butter and egg. In a separate bowl mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Pour into Dutch Oven.
Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 375 degrees (18 coals on top and 9 below) for 25-30 minutes and knife inserted in center comes out clean
325*F 350*F 375*F 400*F 425*F 450*F
19 21 23 25 27 29
13/6 14/7 16/7 17/8 18/9 19/10
23 25 27 29 31 33
16/7 17/8 18/9 19/10 21/10 22/11
*Add 2 coals if you are using a deep dish oven*
MEXICAN SPOON BREAD
1 can creamed corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Mix into batter:
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 oz can chopped Ortega chilis
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
1. Heat Dutch Oven to 350 degrees
(25 coals, 8 below and 17 on top)
2. Pour half the batter into 12" Dutch Oven
3. Sprinkle half the cheese and chilis
4. Layer the rest of the batter and top with the rest of the cheese and chilis
5. Bake 45-50 minutes until set
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
¼ cup butter, melted at bottom of oven
½ cup brown sugar
Fruit (Apples, peaches, blackberries, strawberries, whatever yer fancy…….)
Mix eggs, flour, salt milk.
Spray 12” Dutch Oven with cooking spray. Melt butter in bottom of Dutch Oven. Pour egg mixture into Dutch Oven. Top with fruit. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nutmeg.
Place 8 coals at bottom of oven and 22 coals on top. Bake for 25 minutes. Pancake is done when eggs are set. You can use syrup or whipped cream. My favorite is confectioner’s sugar but it’s pretty darn good just by itself with the fruit.
4-5 lbs potatoes, quartered and sliced into 1/4" slices
1 bell pepper, green, red, yellow or orange or a combination
1/2 t paprika
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Wash and brush potatoes
2. Cut potatoes, onion, and peppers and mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
3. Heat 12" Dutch Oven to 425 degrees (29 coals 19/10)
4. Dump mixture into Dutch Oven and heat for 40-45 minutes. Potatoes are ready when tender.
You can also add mushrooms, garlic, or whatever your hungry little heart desires. Don't forget to set out Tapatio, salsa and catsup when serving this tasty dish.
JALAPENO BEEF ROAST
*4-5 lb Beef Chuck roast
*1 package dry Ranch dressing
*1 Package Au Jus mix
*8 oz jar peperoncinis
*4 oz jar or can jalapeno slices
*1/4 lb butter
*1/2 cup water
Prep a 12" Dutch Oven with cooking spray. Place Pork roast in Dutch Oven. Pour water over the roast. If you want more sauce for gravy add more water. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order they are in.
Cook at 325 degrees (16 coals on top and 7 below) for about 2-3 hours. I usually cut back on the heat after the first hour. This is an easy recipe but it will be the best pork roast you've ever tasted and will make you look like a professional to those you serve!!!!!!!
Preheat your oven at home to 350*F. Wash your Dutch Oven with hot, soapy water and a stiff nylon or brass brush. This is the ONLY time you ever use soap on your Dutch Oven!!!! Rinse and towel dry completely. Spray a coat of vegetable oil on the entire surface of the Dutch Oven, inside and out...under the lid, below the oven, the handle...everywhere.
Lower the racks in your oven to the two lowest positions. You may want to lay aluminum foil or something on the bottom of the oven to catch any drippings. Lat the Dutch Oven upside down on the upper rack of the preheated oven. You can place the lid on the lower rack, beside the Dutch Oven on the same rack or lay the lid on the legs of the Dutch Oven. Bake the Dutch Oven for 1-2 hours. Turn off the oven and let the Dutch Oven cool inside the oven.
Your Dutch Oven should come out looking like brand new. ALWAYS keep a coat of spray oil on your oven, inside and out. When you store it, be sure the lid does not sit tight on your Dutch Oven so air can circulate inside. Throw a couple paper towels inside the Dutch Oven to absorb any moisture. Take care of your Dutch Oven and it will outlive you................
PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE
*1 can pumpkin pie mix (read ingredients for pie on can and make mix...i.e. eggs and evaporated milk....)
*1 box yellow cake mix
*1/2 cup diced pecans
*1/4 lb butter, melted
~Prepare pumpkin pie mix according to directions on can with eggs and evaporated milk.
~Pour pumpkin pie mix into Dutch Oven
~Sprinkle yellow cake mix over the top. Crumble any large lumps.
~Drizzle with melted butter
~Sprinkle the diced pecans on top
~Bake until cake tests done at 400 degrees (23 coals on top and 8 below) for 35-45 minutes. Cake is done when knife inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to set before serving.
~Spoon out and serve warm with whipped cream. Oh, yea!!!!!!!!!